MCC BC Legacy Trust is a group of companies which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Mennonite Central Committee, British Columbia (MCC BC).
We manage development lands and income-producing properties throughout BC with the designated purpose of generating ongoing revenue to support the world wide ministry of MCC. MCC is a Christian faith-based agency that provides relief, development and peacebuilding initiatives in over 51 countries worldwide. MCC BC also carries out programs that address basic needs here in BC.
Legacy Trust is a group of passionate, experienced, dedicated people. We work hard, enjoy what we do, and believe strongly in the mission of MCC. The companies that we manage are well capitalized and growing rapidly.
We are currently seeking a Chief Financial Officer who will report to and work closely with Legacy’s Executive Director providing:
- Leadership to the organization; assisting in building the business by evaluating the feasibility of projects that are supported by a sound business case,
- Overall leadership to the finance, accounting, administrative and operational activities of Legacy Trust and
- Input into the strategic direction of the corporation and its short-term and long-term business plans.
This role would ideally suit someone with a strong background in real estate development, with a passion for building and managing a portfolio of real estate assets and the ability to work with a wide variety of project stakeholders.
- Effective project development and project management skills.
- Excellent quantitative and budgeting skills with attention to detail.
- Strong entrepreneurial attitude, a creative and practical innovator who adds value to corporate plans.
- An effective strategic planner, a pro-active problem solver, flexible and open to change and constructive feedback.
- Superior negotiating skills.
- Self-starter who is highly motivated and manages their time effectively.
- Highly skilled at developing and maintaining good relationships with key stakeholders.
- Collaborator with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enjoys being part of a team and recognizes the importance of each member of the team and their roles.
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Ability to develop a collaborative and diverse team environment.
- Approachable, humble, patient, open to change and has a good sense of humor.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, superior problem-solving abilities and time management skills, with an intrinsic sense of curiosity and the ability to embrace a diverse workload with a positive and results-oriented focus.
General MCC qualifications related to personal Christian faith, active church involvement and belief in ‘nonviolent peacemaking’ are required for this position.
Specific qualifications and experience include:
- An understanding and support of the vision, purpose and values of MCC BC and MCC Legacy Trust.
- Knowledge of the MCC constituency and individuals in the real estate sector.
- A Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation.
- Five years in a decision-making role at an executive level.
- Five years providing overall financial leadership at an executive level.
- Property management, real estate development and knowledge of related regulatory issues.
- Development of subsidiary enterprises and corporate governance.
- Working with boards and non-profit organizations is an asset.
- Demonstrate success in financial management, developing feasibility studies and business plans.
- Communicating complex business and economic issues to a diverse audience.
- Negotiating with regulators, financial institutions, partners and contractors.
- Experience working for a real estate development organization would be ideal.
Reporting to the Executive Director your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that the Executive Director, the Board and the Finance Committee are provided with meaningful financial information to optimize the utilization of its assets.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director in contract negotiations, contract development, generating meetings and agendas, creating agreements and legal contracts as necessary.
- Ensuring that MCC beliefs and values including social-justice, non-violent peacemaking, respectful interactions and working relationships are modeled and reflected in the performance of all work-related responsibilities.
- Working with MCC, the Executive Director, and Board to prepare comprehensive current and long-term (3-5 year) financial plans and budgets for MCC Legacy Trust.
- Providing overall leadership and overseeing all aspects of the finance, accounting, and administration functions of Legacy Trust’s operations including, but not limited to preparing and analyzing pro-forma budgets in coordination with Legacy’s Controller, reporting, compliance, establishment of internal controls, and best practices, engaging and liaising with external auditors and hiring, and guidance of accounting staff.
- Overseeing management, implementing and reporting on Legacy contracts.
- Developing timely and accurate financial models, feasibility studies, pro-forma projections and business cases, RFPs, invoices, cash-flow reports, project schedules and timelines for real-estate development projects during their planning, development and implementation phases to support effective decision-making and project monitoring for both Legacy Trust and potential external partners.
- Ensuring that both current and future real estate development projects have timely and adequate financing arrangements through appropriate financial institutions, government agencies and other sources, i.e., chartered banks, credit unions, CMHC, BC Housing etc.
- Working with financial advisors and accountants on financial planning and modeling donor estate options as well as advising on appropriate corporate and business structures for holding assets, i.e., trusts etc.
A satisfactory criminal record check is a requirement of MCC BC Legacy Trust.
This is a full-time position located in Abbotsford, BC.
Starting date: Fall 2020
Salary and Benefits: Offering competitive salary and benefits
This posting will remain open until filled.
If you think you’d be a good fit for us and for this role, please send your resume in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Chief Financial Officer + your name” in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you.