MCC BC Legacy Trust is a group of companies which is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Mennonite Central Committee, British Columbia (MCC BC).
We manage development lands and income-producing properties throughout BC with the designated purpose of generating ongoing revenue to support the world wide ministry of MCC. MCC is a Christian faith-based agency that provides relief, development and peacebuilding initiatives in over 51 countries worldwide. MCC BC also carries out programs that address basic needs here in BC.
Legacy Trust is a group of passionate, experienced, dedicated people. We work hard, enjoy what we do, and believe strongly in the mission of MCC. The companies that we manage are well capitalized and growing rapidly.
We are currently seeking a Development Manager who will report to and work closely with Legacy’s Executive Director managing the generation of new real estate development projects through their planning, development, implementation and construction phases to final completion.
For the right individual the role may include some property management responsibilities.
This role would ideally suit someone with a strong background real estate development with a passion for building and managing a portfolio of real estate assets and the ability to work with a wide variety of project stakeholders including architects, consultants and contractors.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, great problem-solving and time management skills, an intrinsic sense of curiosity and the ability to embrace a diverse workload with a positive and results-oriented focus.
- Effective real estate project development and project management skills.
- Excellent quantitative and budgeting skills with attention to detail.
- Strong entrepreneurial attitude, a creative and practical innovator who adds value to corporate plans.
- An effective strategic planner, a pro-active problem solver, flexible and open to change and constructive feedback.
- Superior negotiating skills.
- Self-starter who is highly motivated and able to manage their time without a great deal of supervision.
- Highly skilled at developing and maintaining good relationships with key stakeholders.
- Collaborator with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Enjoys being part of a team and recognizes the importance of each member of the team and their roles,
- Excellent inter-personal skills.
- Ability to develop a collaborative and diverse team environment.
- Approachable, humble, patient, open to change and has a good sense of humor.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication skills, superior problem-solving abilities and time management skills, with an intrinsic sense of curiosity and the ability to embrace a diverse workload with a positive and results-oriented focus.
General MCC qualification related to personal Christian faith, active church involvement and belief in ‘nonviolent peacemaking’ are required for this position.
Specific qualifications and experience include:
- An understanding and support of the vision, purpose and values of MCC BC and MCC Legacy Trust.
- Knowledge of the MCC constituency and individuals in the real estate sector.
- Degree/Diploma in engineering, construction management/business, real estate, planning, urban land economics, or a related field.
- Five years in a decision-making role at a management level.
- Property management, real estate development and knowledge of related regulatory issues.
- Working with boards and non-profit organizations is an asset.
- Negotiating with regulators, financial institutions, partners and contractors.
- Experience working in a real estate development organization would be ideal.
- Work experience that demonstrates the above qualities and skills, with a minimum of three years of direct experience.
Reporting to the Executive Director your responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring that MCC beliefs and values including social-justice, non-violent peacemaking, respectful interactions and working relationships are modeled and reflected in the performance of all work-related responsibilities.
- Working with Executive Director and Legacy Controller develop accurate financial models, feasibility studies, pro-forma projections and business cases, RFPs, invoices, cash-flow reports, project schedules and timelines for real-estate development projects during their planning, development and implementation phases to support effective decision-making and project monitoring for both Legacy Trust and potential external partners.
- Arranging and attending meetings with prospective project partners to present the MCC BC Legacy Trust development process and assess their organizational mission, vision, and priorities.
- Hiring and overseeing the work of architects, consultants, contractors and other service providers through feasibility study and business case phase of project development.
- Ensuring that both current and future real estate develop projects have timely and adequate financing arrangements through appropriate financial institutions, government agencies and other sources, i.e., chartered banks, credit unions, CMHC, BC Housing etc.
- Collaborating with the Executive Director in project negotiations, contract development, generating meetings and agendas, creating agreements and legal contracts as necessary.
- Conducting general research and market analysis, maintaining a strong knowledge of the industry
- Supporting communication plans regarding new projects for the Project Generation team during various stages of projects including coordinating public engagement events, conducting meetings and building relationships with municipal staff, potential funders, and other project stakeholders, working with the Executive Director in preparing and delivering presentations about MCC BC Legacy Trust, our projects, and our development model. Presenting on behalf of the organization at partner meetings.
A satisfactory criminal record check is a requirement of MCC BC Legacy Trust.
This is a full-time position located in Abbotsford, BC.
Starting date: Fall 2020
Salary and Benefits: Offering competitive salary and benefits
This posting will remain open until filled.
If you think you’d be a good fit for us and for this role, please send your resume in pdf format to email@example.com with “Development Manger + your name” in the subject line.
We look forward to hearing from you.